Tuesday 10 October 2023

MNKRM

Everyone seems to be doing newsletters these days. I know I always enjoy reading them. But I knew if I did one of my own it’d have to be something a bit different, fun enough to keep me writing, and most of all useful to the folks who subscribed. I waffle on long enough already here - I wanted this thing to be like a monthly injection of succinct, practical game material.

Announcing MNKRM!

1000 words of sci-fi horror resources, new issues on the 10th of every month. The first issue just went live, you can read it and subscribe for free right here.

This month’s theme is BASICS. It’s pretty much all the stuff you need to get you game started - a hub location, micro-adventure and some sources of inspiration. We’ve got bioengineered bullet beetles, a conversation with eyeball soup, and - because it’s me - a playable in-universe gambling game.

The idea behind MNKRM is that once a month you’ll get this concentrated shot of game juice directly into your inbox, all ready to take to the table, and hopefully there’s at least something in there you want to steal or take inspiration from for your next game.

Things like stats and item prices will be written for Mothership, because that’s what I run and have experience writing for, but there’s not reason you can’t adapt MNKRM material for a game of Alien or Death In Space (which my MoSh stuff tends to be a good fit for totally anyway tbh).

Anyway - it’s totally free to subscribe, so please go ahead and do so! I’ve also added an optional paid tier at $5 USD a month, which is the lowest amount substack will accept. People who pay don’t get anything special or extra, but it’s a great way to support this project specifically, or you can think of it as a tip jar if you like this blog or my work in general.

Anyway, that’s all for this month from MNKRM. Don’t forget to subscribe, and I’ll see you next time.

No comments: